simple choreography for your mouth--even if it has two left feet!
SPEECH & DICTION
Looking to make your next production more authentic? More believable? I've worked with hundreds of actors, and would love to work with you! My approach is simple, tangible, and FUN!! It incorporates what the actor sees and feels—rather than solely focusing on what the actor hears and imitates (often inaccurately). I do not use the confusing abstract concepts many speech methods do. Principles are learned physically rather than memorized mentally. This ensures improved intelligibility, retention, consistency, and believability, as well as expanded acting choices—something you just can’t get from listening alone! I'd love to work with you on your next acting or public speaking project, assist you in mastering multiple accents/dialects, or just help you improve your overall speech!
Stage Standard / Transatlantic
Standard American / Broadcast
Southern American (various)
Western / Mid-western American
New York (various)
Boston / New England
Chicago / Great Lakes
Standard British / RP
England Regional (various)
Russian / Slavic
Coaching is currently offered in person in Los Angeles (other locations on occasion) as well as remotely (Skype/FaceTime/Google Hangouts).
Private one-on-one coaching for individual actors offered on a short-term or ongoing basis. Learn one or more accents/dialects.
PRIVATE COACHING OPTIONS:
SKIM AN ACCENT/DIALECT: 1 session
Need lightning fast assistance? Have a last minute audition? Got a role with only a couple lines? With the Skim Option, you'll learn only the accent/dialect vocal changes needed for your specific script. The goal is for you to sound as believable as possible when speaking your scripted lines.
LEARN AN ACCENT/DIALECT: 2 - 4 sessions
Need to prepare for an upcoming audition or role requiring an accent or dialect? With the Learn Option, you'll incorporate the accent/dialect's "leading action" into your muscle memory to ensure consistency. We'll cover all the vocal changes for the accent/dialect in case you need to improvise in character. As you progress, we'll work to fine-tune the accent/dialect to fit your character choices and ensure intelligibility. The goal is for you to feel adept using the accent/dialect as an acting tool.
MASTER ACCENTS/DIALECTS: 5+ sessions
Want to improve your range as an actor? With the Master Option, you can choose your own goals:
1) mastering one accent/dialect as you explore its spectrum of options from broad characters to nuanced realistic ones;
2) learning or mastering multiple accents/dialects;
3) improving any voice or speech problems;
4) accent reduction for ESL speakers.
Coaching for stage, film and voice over productions offered for entire casts, lead roles only, and/or individual character parts.
Are you a theatre producer or director? Or perhaps a high school drama teacher putting on a play? I would love to work with you to ensure your production is first rate with speech that is both believable and intelligible! Coaching for stage productions usually includes:
1) A 60-minute intro session held at the beginning of the rehearsal process to introduce concepts and retention techniques;
2) One or two mid-process follow-up sessions in which I attend regular rehearsals, give notes, and answer questions;
3) A final follow-up observation with notes held shortly before opening.
COACHING FOR FILM & VOICE OVER PRODUCTIONS:
Are you directing or producing a film with characters from another place or time? How about an animation project? Do your actors sound clear and convincing? I would love to work with you and your actors to ensure their speech is both believable and intelligible! Coaching is flexible and can be conducted prior to and/or during a film shoot or recording session. (Please note that coaching prior to shooting/recording is highly recommended for any role with more than minimal lines.) I also work with actors in post-production ADR looping sessions.
Introductory accent/dialect-specific classes offered with or without a follow-up option. Workshops can be geared for kids, teens or adults.
Do you have a class or group interested in learning a particular accent/dialect? Maybe you're interested in basic voice and speech? I would love to work with you to design a learning experience that is fun, educational, and applicable to your specific needs! Private workshops can be customized for various ages, acting proficiency levels, and group sizes.
UPCOMING PUBLIC WORKSHOPS:
More public workshops coming soon!
RECENT WORKSHOP TOPICS:
- 15+ years experience coaching hundreds of actors for dozens of productions
- Proficiency in 20+ accents/dialects; ability to learn/teach new ones quickly
- Comprehensive understanding of voice and speech anatomy and production
- Editor of and contributor to 200-page handbook Accents & Dialects for the Actor
- Co-teacher for 10 years of 16-week course Accents & Dialects for the Professional Actor
- Extensive knowledge of Arthur Lessac voice and speech method
- Experience with Cicely Barry, Kristin Linklater and Edith Skinner approaches
- In depth knowledge of singing techniques
- Keenness for working with kids, teens and adults
Pan-American Vocology Association (PAVA)
Lessac Training and Research Institute
Certified Change Leaders, Utah Division of Arts and Museums
VOCAL TRAINING AND EDUCATION
Vocology Certificate, National Center for Voice and Speech / University of Iowa
- courses in voice production, habilitation, instrumentation and performance
Oxford Program, Acting, British American Drama Academy
Bachelor of Arts, Theatre, University of Utah
- linguistics coursework in phonetics, phonology, syntax
Classes and Private Lessons in Singing and Voice Acting
Instructors: Ingo Titze, Katherine Verdolini Abbott, Eric Hunter, Paul Wagar, Frank Gerrish, Brett Manning, Seth Riggs, Leigh Gilbert, Nancy Wolfson